Monday, April 23, 2007

Comfort Food

I'm sure we all go through one of those days where it would be nice to just eat something to feed our soul. Or maybe I'm the only one who does that. Well, whatever the case, I'm feeling a bit on the cranky/blue side today and would love to have a heaping plate of real mashed potatoes covered in a brown gravy right in front of me.

I'm sure that even when you're trapped on a beautiful, warm deserted island you're bound to get a little moody occasionally. Share with us those five must-have foods that just make you feel good - like that wrapped-in-a-warm-blanket-on-a-cold-winter's-day kind of good. and let's just say that heart disease and high cholesterol do not exist on this island. Heh heh.

For me?
1. Those aforementioned mashed potatoes.
2. Mozzarella sticks. Not the crumbly, breaded kind. The ones wrapped in those egg roll wrappers, or whatever they're called. Mmmm mmm good!
3. Kraft Spiral Macaroni & Cheese (the noodle shape does make a difference in this case)
4. Starbucks' Iced Lemon Loaf - something about biting into this makes me sigh contentedly.
5. Hate to admit it, but McDonalds' french fries, in all their salty, greasy glory, are a wound-healer sometimes.

Normally, Diet Coke would be on this list (I just love that carbonated "aspartame burn" from that first swallow), but I've been off the Diet Coke for almost a week now. Yay, good for me. Now, just 999 more bad-for-me items that I must eliminate.

What would you bring?

P.S. I'm cooking up another post for this week. Check back soon.

5 comments:

bfmomma said...

Ooooh, I can do this!

1) grilled cheese made of envelope cheese and cheap white (like wonder) bread

2) my mom's pot roast with roasted veggies, mashed potatoes, and gravy

3) any soups... all soups! served with Breadsmith bread

4) hot-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies

5) macaroni and cheese

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I don't know if I've ever really had what people call "comfort food." As much as I enjoy my relationship with food, I don't think I've ever "needed" it. Sure, I have cravings. So that's about the closest I can get. So let's see.

1. Tombstone Pizza - I've said it before. And I'll say it again. Pound for pound, all things considered, (including price) it's the best pizza in the world.

2. A bag of chips - I like virtually all chips - Doritos, Cheetos, whatever. But sometimes I just really want a bag of plain potato chips - be it Lays or Ruffles. I love the salty flavor.

3. No-fat, sugar snacks - stuff like jelly beans, gum drops, Mike & Ikes and Starburst jelly beans. Sometimes I really crave them.

4. Survivor Chicken - made by my lovely wife - who is the author of this blog. It's our Thursday night tradition, something we eat while we watch "Survivor." It's fried chicken (thighs) covered with chicken seasoning, followed by white rice - which is poured into the frying pan and mixed with the grease, once the chicken has been removed. I'm doing a Homer Simpson drool just thinking about it. Tonight is Thursday too. Woohoo!

5. Sausage - Be it a brat, Polish, Italian, or anything spicy, those fatty concotions make my mouth water. Throw in a few potato chips, and I'm in heaven.

Honorable mention goes to ranger cookies. When I was in gradeschool, it seemed like everytime a kid brought a treat to school for their birthday, it was either Rice Krispie bars or ranger cookies. I can't tell you the last time I had ranger cookies at someone's house. The only place I get them now is on the buffet at Ponderosa. They're so light, I can actually eat about seven of them - even when I'm already stuffed from the dinner. Moral of the story - there's always room for ranger cookies.

jenny said...

1. i'm with you on the mashed potato craze. i love them with gravy and spread all over a warm open faced turkey sandwich with a little bit of cranberry on the side.....

2. my mom's german potato salad

3. doug's chicken tortilla soup

4. alicha (an ethiopian curry dish)

5. hot ham sandwiches, the kind you get at the deli.

karmadog said...

Okay, real quick, so I can stop obsessing.

1. Cereal. The flakier, the better.

2. Donuts.

3. Noodles.

4. Burgers. Grilled, rare.

5. More noodles.

The problem is, those are all high-carb (except for the burgers, if you don't count the bun), and I'm diabetic. So I've been trying over the last months to revise my comfort-food list.

1. Peanuts & cashews. Peanuts are the new donuts.

2. Salad. Yup, that's right. If I eat a salad with some ham or chicken and tomatoes and some grated cheese, I actually stop thinking about food for a short time.

3. These dark-chocolate pruney things Chana introduced us to a few weeks ago. Pro: really good, really healthy, anti-oxidary. Con: seriously addictive. Only low-carb if you don't eat the whole bag.

4. Apples. A good, sweet juicy apple does the trick for me. If I bite into an apple and it's sour, it just pisses me off and I become dangerous.

Mom O Matic said...

1.) Egg rolls and cold (it's a fantasy) Coke.
2.) Chicken Pad Thai
3.) Melons wrapped with proscuito
4.) Super thin and crispy spinach and mushroom pizza
5.) Tuna casserole with an extra crunchy topping.

Yum!